29 May 2023

Ideas from Current News

K. Pragalath is a writer who works as a copy editor at a Malaysian news website. Previously he was a journalist with several news portals including Malaysiakini, Free Malaysia Today, Berita Daily, and The Leaders Online. Pragalath is also involved in digital marketing, especially content marketing, for a variety of sectors. He has also been involved in fiction writing and has authored two short stories in Bahasa Malaysia.

Pragalath was part of the Malaysian Writers and Readers Get Together event on 14 May 2023. He shares his writing experience in an interview conducted by Uthaya Sankar SB.

 

What was your ambition as a child?

I think it was a lawyer, thanks to all the English court room serials and Indian movies.

 

When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?

The need to be a writer was triggered when I realized that the pen is mightier than the sword.

 

Who are your favourite Malaysian authors?

This is a tough one since I don’t read many works of Malaysian writers. For Bahasa Malaysia at least, it would be Uthaya Sankar SB and some authors who published with Fixi.

 

Where do you get your ideas or information for your writings?

Current news and personal experiences.

 

Which was your hardest book/piece to write?

I haven’t come across yet since I haven’t written much.

 

What’s your latest writing project?

I haven’t written any in the immediate past.

 

What do you do when you are not writing or reading?

I watch movies and observe crowds.

 

Tell us about your full-time job.

I am currently a copy editor with a Malay news portal where I clear copies and rewrite news stories.

 

What does your family think of your writings?

They are supportive of my work.

 

How do you handle writer’s block?

I stop writing and do some other things instead of opting to overthink about it.

 

If one of your writing/book should be translated into another language, which one would you choose and why?

I am not very sure about that because the esthetics of a language tends to dissipate when it is translated to another language.

 

How would you promote/sell your books?

All social media platforms, including Facebook, would be used if I were to promote my books.

 

Date: 29 May 2023