19 Jul 2008

Feature: He Doesn’t Translate Blindly

His namecard tells us that he is a “University Malaya Graduate (Academy of Malay Studies)” and that he’s “willing to do translation in various fields (in Malay and English)”.

Prakash Suriyamurthy is also “willing to write articles and essays”. His mobile is 012-9020512 and his e-mail address is raj_um82@yahoo.com

You would have guessed that he was born in 1982.

I have read about him – last year, I think – and wanted to meet him. I contacted Dr M. Rajantheran of University Malaya to try to get in touch with Prakash.

Then, one fine day (last year too) Prakash called me after “reading” about me in the Internet.

When I say “reading”, what I actually mean is “listening”; because, you see, what Prakash’s namecard does not tell us is that he is blind. He uses a special software to “read” printed material.

What the namecard also does not reveal is that Prakash is doing his Masters in University Malaya. Also that he is transforming the Thirukural to Braille. Oh, by the way, that’s the article I read about him last time.

If you want to meet him, do attend Baca Cerpen A. Samad Said at Kompleks PKNS, Shah Alam on Friday, 25 July 2008 at 3:00 pm. Prakash will be reading one of Datuk A. Samad Said’s shortstory using Braille. Details at www.kavyan.cjb.net

Or surprise him with a call (012-9020512) or an e-mail (raj_um82@yahoo.com) to say hello.

If you are a reporter, I’d be surprised if you are not yet thinking of a feature article.

Or better still, if you have any translation job, pass it to him. Rest assured that you are dealing with a professional translator.

Prakash may be blind; but he doesn’t translate blindly!